Body hair removal in the past was a strictly a feminine concern unless you were into bodybuilding, modelling, athletics or similar niche interests. The times are changing and more and more men want to get rid of unwanted hair wherever it maybe. The most common places men want their hair removed or reduced from are – removal of the unibrow (the hair that sometimes grows between two eyebrows), from the ears and reducing or removing the excess hair from their chest and back. Most often men don’t feel comfortable discussing this openly or enquiring about all the options available for hair removal, so we thought we’ll help you out and tell you about all the option available in the market with their pro’s, con’s, costs and other most commonly asked questions. We will cover topics on Hair Removal for Men : Laser Hair Removal, Shaving, Waxing, etc.
The forum on the site is created as a place where we encourage all you men to ask questions and give your opinions on the subject of Hair Removal which is very rarely spoken about in our society. This so that we can have one place where you can find all the answers you need to make a well-informed decision. So please feel free to post any questions and reply to any questions asked in case you would like to share your experience or have an answer to that particular question. To make sure that the questions are answered in a factual and correct manner, we have our panel of doctors who will monitor this forum.
About us: The Ageless Clinic is the go -to aesthetic clinic for some of the most beautiful faces in Mumbai. The clinic caters to a wide gamut of people from diverse backgrounds including top names from the film & fashion fraternity, CEOs, entrepreneurs and housewives. Having started less than a decade ago, The Ageless Clinic today is regarded as one of the top aesthetic clinics in India. Dr Harshna Bijlani, Medical Head & Co-founder was the winner of one of the industry’s highest awards ‘Vogue Beauty Awards’ for ‘Best Skin Expert’.
We are present at three locations in Mumbai – Bandra, Cuffe Parade and Versova.
For Permanent Hair Removal/Reduction
Hair Removal Option No. 1: Laser Hair Removal
What It Does: Lasers used for hair removal target your melanin and have a fixed wavelength helping them to target only your hair without causing any damage to your skin. Laser Hair Removal gives permanent hair reduction. After the recommended number of sessions, your hair growth should be reduced significantly – however you may require a touch up once a year. There are various types of lasers available. The latest laser hair removal machines come with cooling tips that make the process virtually painless.To find out more about laser hair removal click here
How Long It Takes: Roughly 30 minutes per treatment depending on the body area, up to 6 sessions are recommended (hair grows in cycles).
Best For: Removing or reducing hair on back, chest, stomach, shoulders, and genital area. Works best on light skin with dark hair; normally not suitable for blond or white hair. New laser technologies come with two types of lasers. Diode as well as Alexandrite. Diode Lasers are the Gold Standard for removal of thicker hair while Alexandrite is a very effective wavelength for laser hair removal for fine and even blonde hair. So now you can attack thick as well as fine hair with one machine. To know more about pain-free lasers click here
Cost: Sessions start from Rs.610 onwards depending on the body part.
Lasting Result: After all the recommended laser hair removal session are completed, results could be almost permanent, with touch-up sessions once or twice a year to maintain results.
– Less painful than most other methods (Some providers unscrupulously say their lasers are painless. It is easy to tell which ones these are – if they make you put on a ton of numbing cream before the treatment you know they are lying).
– US FDA approved machines are available, now we be rest assured it safe (Ideally do your homework, ask your provider what laser they have and Google).
– If you tend to have sensitive skin that gets red and irritated with shaving or hair removal creams laser hair removal is the definitely something you must look in to.
– Even if you do not want to remove all your hair you can reduce the density after a few sessions.
– Effective for removing hair from large areas with the least amount of time consumed as compared to other permanent reduction solutions.
– Generally does not cause reactions or side effects.
– Since the laser targets melanin (pigment that gives skin and hair colour), people with dark hair have a higher success rate with this treatment than people with light hair (Alexandrite wavelengths can work for blonde hair).
– There can be side effects that can range from itching or swelling for a day or two. The rare but more serious side effects could include discoloration, infection, etc.
– These have to be performed by experienced technicians with quality devices. You cannot just go to a salon and get it done – there are many cheap lasers out there with dubious safety and questionable results.
– Multiple sessions are needed for complete hair reduction.
– If you are looking to get Laser Hair Removal done in intimate areas look for a provider with a male technician.
Hair Removal Option No. 2: Electrolysis
What It Does: Electrolysis is performed using an ultra-slim needle to penetrate each individual hair shaft, this system delivers tiny shocks of electricity to the hair follicle, killing the cells that actually make hair. Once a cell is gone no hair will grow back in its place.
How Long It Takes: Each session is relatively short but you are targeting each and every hair individually. So depending on what area you want cleaned up it could take from a couple of sessions to a couple of months for the entire treatment.
Best For: Can be used for all areas however it is very painful so a local anaesthetic would be recommended.
Cost: About Rs. 2000 onwards.
– Works on multiple skin and hair types.
– Multiple sessions are needed. An average number of session recommended are 15-30 because 3 each and every individual hair is burnt from the root. Hence even a small portion of the targeted are would take a lot of time.
– One of the most painful ways of hair removal.
– Skin colouration may occur.
For Temporary Hair Removal
Hair Removal Option No. 1: Waxing
What It Does: Natural ingredient containing wax is applied to your skin and pulled off using waxing strips, poof! no more hair for at least 7-10 days.
How Long It Takes: Anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on what’s being waxed.
Best For: Hair on ears and neck, legs, underarms, and arms. While waxing can easily be done in the genital area, it is painful, so you might want to try it on other parts of your body first so you know what you’re in for.
Cost: From Rs.200-Rs.5000 depending on what you need done and where you get it done.
Lasting Result: About 3-4 weeks for a man with average growth rate.
– Temporarily removes hair for an average of three weeks.
– Results in dead skin removal and makes your skin feel smooth and velvety.
– Easily available at most salons.
– When waxing is performed too often it may cause in growth resulting in appearance of black spots on your skin.
– Cannot target very fine or tiny hair.
– One of the most painful forms of hair removal.
Hair Removal Option No. 2: Depilatories/cream hair removers
What It Does: A chemical compound suspended in a gel or cream base, it attacks the proteins in hair and dissolves them. This causes the hair to loosen and fall out instantly.
Best For: Most body parts but we would advice you to stay away from your face and genitals and these chemicals can be pretty strong for sensitive skin.
How Long It Takes: 15 – 20 mins. 5 mins for application and the rest for the hair to drop off.
Cost: Rs.200 with a home kit; Rs.2000 or more for a salon treatment.
Lasting Result: A week to several weeks depending on your rate of hair growth.
– Products are available at most major retailers and drugstores, making them easily accessible.
– Painless hair removal.
– Takes very little time and does not need professional help.
– Can result in chemical burns if left on for too long.
– Has an unpleasant odour sometimes due to the chemicals.
– Side effects include rashes, itchiness, or allergic reactions to the cream.
Hair Removal Option No. 3: Sugaring
What It Does: Sugaring hair removal, an ancient middle-eastern practice that uses a paste or gel made from ingredients like sugar, water, and lemon juice to remove the hair follicle from the root. It can be performed in two ways. With the paste you can simply apply the paste, smooth it over using your hands and then flick it off in the opposite direction like ripping a Band-Aid off but in this case it isn’t a Band-Aid its a paste and your hands. You can also use the sugaring gel and rip is off like during waxing with a cloth or muslin.
Best For: All the body parts you would perform waxing on.
– Someone with experience can do sugaring quickly with the paste as you can apply the paste on a large area unlike waxing where you have to rip it off before it gets solid.
– It can be cleaned simply with water unlike the widely used waxing products.
– You can apply it multiple times on the missed area without fearing a reaction as the ingredients are very mild and completely natural.
– It’s hard to find a pro that specialises in this technique using the paste. Most technicians are used to waxing strips.
– It’s difficult to get the perfect consistency if you try to make it yourself at home.
– You need sufficient hair growth to perform it. You need 1/6th of an inch to use the paste and 1/4th of an inch of hair to use the gel for it to work well.
Questions you’ve had about your body hair
Why are you more hairy than your White friend?
Ever wondered why Indian men seem to be more hairy than our Western counterparts? Blame it on your ethnicity! Studies show there are three main classifications of hair type based on race – Asian hair, Afro hair and Caucasian hair.
Caucasian hair grows at a rate of about 1.2 cm a month and has the greatest density of all three hair types.
Afro hair is predominantly black and have the slowest growth rate of about 0.9 cm per month.
Asian hair – the most dominant hair type in the world – out speeds the rest with a growth rate of 1.3 cm per month.
What women want from their men?
Cross culturally 80% of the women prefer their men clean. If they are not completely clean then most women said that a light spattering of hair across the chest was the next best thing.
The act of pruning or removing a man’s body hair is known as manscaping. There are still a few women who would say men who are so masculine that they couldn’t care less about grooming are hot but the ratio of women who prefer well groomed men is increasing on a large scale. Manscaping is becoming more and more famous across the world with women preferring hairless companions and men finally embracing their heterosexuality.
On an end note I think we have come to the conclusion that unless you feel strongly against it there’s not harm in manscaping yourself. You feel cleaner, look better, it’s more hygienic and your girl is happy so win win!
Now that we have figured out the roots and origin of our hair growth, what our women want as well as what are the options to give them what they want, for temporary removal waxing seems like the most viable option however prolonged waxing may cause in-growth and let’s be honest it’s just too much pain and effort to do it every month.
Moving on to permanent solutions electrolysis is obviously way more painful with each hair getting burnt at the root and way more time consuming than other alternatives. This zeros down on laser hair removal being our best shot at getting hair permanently removed if you’re willing to go for a touch up once in a couple of months and if not then you have reduced your hair by approximately 50-80% so that’s pretty good anyway.
What to keep in mind if you do decide to go for laser hair removal:
• Make sure you do your homework
• Ask to see the certificate of the machine, try to go for a US FDA approved machine
• Make sure you go with a skilled technician
• In the end no matter what you do try going to a proper skin clinic instead of a shady parlour, your skin is worth more than a few hundred Rupees
To know more about us visit www.theagelessclinic.com